To assist the Board in making its independence determinations, the Board has adopted categorical standards. Under these standards, the following persons shall not be considered “independent”:
- a director who is or was an employee or executive officer of the Corporation, or whose Family Member is or was an executive officer of the Corporation, at any time during the past three years;
- a director who receives or has received, or whose Family Member receives or has received, compensation from the Corporation in excess of $120,000 during any period of twelve consecutive months within the past three years, other than director and committee fees, benefits under a tax-qualified retirement plan, or other forms of non-discretionary compensation; provided, however, that compensation received by a Family Member of a director for service as an employee (other than an executive officer) of the Corporation need not be considered in determining independence;
- a director who is, or whose Family Member is, a current partner of the Corporation’s outside auditor, or who was a partner or employee of the Company’s outside auditor who worked on the Corporation’s audit at any time during any of the past three years;
- a director of the Company who is, or has a Family Member who is, employed as an Executive Officer of another entity where at any time during the past three years any of the Executive Officers of the Company serve on the compensation committee of such other entity; or
- a director who is, or whose Family Member is, a partner in, a controlling stockholder of, or an executive officer of, any organization to which the Corporation made, or from which the Corporation received, payments for property or services in the current or any of the past three fiscal years that exceed the greater of $200,000 or 5% of the recipient’s consolidated gross revenues for that year, other than payments arising solely from investments in the Corporation’s securities or payments under non-discretionary charitable contribution matching programs.
“Family Member” means a person’s spouse, parents, children and siblings, whether by blood, marriage or adoption, or anyone residing in such person's home.
Last Updated: April 29, 2014