Subscribe to Asset Servicing & Fintech Insights
Accessing EU Alts Investors via Luxembourg Parallel Funds
Insights into why a parallel fund structure may offer a way for non-European Union (EU) based managers to access EU alternative investment fund investors and key operational factors to consider.
Head of Global Fund Services, EMEA
Fund managers in Asia-Pacific and the United States (US) are increasingly considering a Luxembourg parallel fund vehicle to access EU investors alongside an established domestic alternative investment fund. In this structure the vehicle typically sits alongside a non-EU ‘master vehicle’ and may be comprised of several parallel funds co-investing in the same assets. As the parallel structure is in effect mirroring the master structure, it may offer operational efficiencies compared to other distribution routes. However, there are numerous factors to consider including the roles of the various key service providers such as the depositary and fund administrator to ensure a smooth operating model and robust governance before launching a parallel fund structure. Northern Trust’s new paper explores key considerations from an operational perspective, including:
- Luxembourg’s flexible structuring solutions tool kit for alternative investment funds which includes a variety of options, depending on the investor requirements and fund size under the wider ambit of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive
- Why the governance model should be discussed upfront as part of the structuring discussion
Non-EU based managers looking to widen their investor base to European investors may seek to deploy a parallel fund structure as it offers a number of advantages:
- A parallel fund replicates the successful domestic fund ranges, optimising the investment process
- It helps managers access new capital by tapping into different investor pools, whilst leveraging the domestic funds track record
- Parallel funds typically adopt the same or very similar investment and divestment policies, targets and risk profiles as the original fund, which makes them relatively quick to establish
- They may also support managers to achieve operational efficiencies by being able to replicate some of their operational processes across both their domestic and European fund, together with offering a more cost-effective structure
To read more, download the paper.
March 22, 2021
Insights into available options and current regulatory considerations when establishing a fund management company in Ireland or Luxembourg.
March 12, 2021
Insights on Luxembourg's resilient and innovative approach as discussed in Funds Europe's Luxembourg Report 2021 roundtable.
December 2, 2020
Luxembourg’s growing influence as a leading alternative investment funds hub is being driven by the multiple solutions it provides to global investment managers supported by its strong reputation and support infrastructure. Sara Gilbert, Northern Trust’s senior executive for alternatives business development, outlines the attributes helping Luxembourg to excel in this important fund sector.