Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself From Identity Theft
- Create an alternate username to use in place of your Social Security number whenever possible
- Review financial statements as they arrive for unauthorized transactions or changes
- Review your credit report regularly
- Shred all documents containing personal information
- Know what to do if you suspect you have become a victim of identity theft
- Be vocal - urge merchants and financial institutions that don’t use secure practices to do so
Read More On Identity Theft
What to do if you suspect your personal information may have been compromised.
By understanding exactly what identity theft is, how it happens and how it affects you, you will be better able to prevent and, if necessary, resolve identity theft.