Ten simple steps you can take to reduce your risk
- Install up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on your home computers.
- Use a personal firewall.
- Download security patches and software/operating system updates in a timely fashion.
- Use caution when using unsecure Wireless Hotspots, such as internet cafes or airports.
- Enable security features on your home wireless network and use a strong password or key to prevent unwanted access.
- Use strong passwords and keep them safe if you must write them down.
- Learn to identify and avoid Phishing and Spear Phishing e-mails.
- Review your financial statements as soon as they arrive for discrepancies or suspicious activity.
- Shred all documents with personal or financial information before disposal.
- Use care when participating in Social Networking sites, such as Facebook or LinkedIn. Do not reveal sensitive personal information, and modify your privacy settings to prevent strangers from viewing your pages.